Impacts of this grant
Impact on students by the numbers:
- Number of MS Students Funded – 6
- Number of MS Students Graduated – 3
- Number of USDA Interns Hired – 16
- Number of Student Field/Training Days – 5
- Number of Professional Development Opportunities for Students – 2
- Number of Students Completing Course – 36 (32 at ASU, 4 at MCC)
MS Student Projects
- Emma Bonham (MS student) – Can organic growers meet nutrient demands with local organic residuals? Advisors: Muenich, Williams
- Sarah Zinke (MS student) – Microbial populations in ponded wastewater sediments. Advisors: Conroy-Ben; Williams
- Noah Rudko (MS Student) – Modeling overflow and seepage to groundwater from manure lagoons. Advisors: Muenich; Williams
- Emily Crowder (MS student) – Microbial populations in ponded wastewater sediments. Advisors: Conroy-Ben; Williams
- Billy Krukowski (MS student) – Review of the Quantitative Tradeoffs of Using Organic Residuals in Arid Agriculture. Advisors: Muenich; Williams
- Junpei Hara (MS Civil Engineering 2019) – Antibiotic resistance in tertiary treated wastewater. Advisor: Conroy-Ben
Student Intern Projects
- Suraya Sidique (ASU) – Development of a phosphorus budget for a managed aquifer recharge site; Advisors: Muenich, Williams
- Wesley Colvin (ASU) – Tetrabromobisphenol A and Crops: Examining Effluent Irrigation Impacts in Agriculture; Advisors: Conden, Williams
- Jeanene Hanley (MCC) – Tetrabromobisphenol A and Crops: Examining Effluent Irrigation Impacts in Agriculture; Advisors: Conden, Williams
- Marie Bear (ASU) – Development of a stakeholder-driven water usage estimator for Verde Valley agriculture; Advisors: Muenich, Williams
- Emma Bonham (ASU) – Comparison of water used in backyard gardens and mesic landscaping; Advisors: Muenich, Williams
- Samantha Stone (ASU) – Comparison of water used in backyard gardens and mesic landscaping; Advisors: Muenich, Williams
- Tannis Breure (ASU) –BioChar’s Removal of Contaminants in Agricultural Soil; Advisor: Muenich; Williams
- Nate Fousel (MCC) – Vertical Farming; Advisor: Conden
- Noah Rudko (ASU) – Land use change and forest management on stream flows in the Verde River Watershed; Advisor: Muenich; Williams
- Elizabeth Singh (ASU) – Antibiotic resistant genes in reclaimed wastewater. Advisor: Conroy-Ben
- Katy Skillings (ASU) – Soil quality in ponded wastewater sediments. Advisor: Conroy-Ben; Advisor: Williams
- Conroy-Ben, O. and Crowder, E*., 2020. Unregulated and Emerging Contaminants in Tribal Water. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, (169), pp.92-100.
- Rudko N*, Muenich RL, Garcia ME, Xu T. Hydrologic and water quality modeling of a CAFO dairy lagoon. American Geophysical Union, Virtual Meeting, Dec 1-17, 2020.
- Breure T*, Williams C, Muenich RL, Conroy-Ben O. Biochar removal of E. coli in arid agricultural lands. Virtual ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Meeting, November 9-13, 2020.
- Rudko N*, Muenich R, Garcia M. Development of a CAFO Lagoon Module to Advance Manure Management. American Society of Agricultural & Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, July 13-15, 2020. Virtual.
- Williams C, Muenich R, Conroy-Ben O. Competitive Sorption of Pharmaceuticals to Soil. ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Meeting, San Antonio, TX, Nov. 10-13, 2019.
- Muenich RL. Quantifying urban and agricultural connections over space and time. Association of Environmental Engineering & Science Professors, Tempe, AZ, May 14-16, 2019.
- Muenich, Rebecca, Otakuye Conroy-Ben, Clinton Williams, and Peter Conden. The nexus of agricultural and urban trade-offs: Enhancing interdisciplinary education and research to create emerging opportunities in urban agriculture. Central Arizona-Phoenix Long-Term Ecological Research All Scientists Meeting and Poster Symposium, Tempe, AZ, Jan. 11, 2019.
*indicates student working on grant
Grants Submitted to USDA from ASU after Project Activities – 9